Where was this photo taken?ACLD Heritage Banner
    Home > Persons > Alachua County Historical Commission

    Alachua County Historical Commission Alachua County Historical Commission
The Alachua County Historical Commission is "the official county agency concerned with heritage and history, providing leadership in advancing the identification, protection, preservation and interpretation of Alachua County's cultural patrimony." Today the organization's 15 members are appointed by the County Commission and are selected by their interest in history, cultural lore, the development of historical sites within the County, and their desire to participate. Shown in this 1966 photograph are four members of the ACHC at that time. Standing, left to right, are Mr. A. Z. Adkins, Jr., and Mr. James Richardson. Seated, left to right, are Mrs. Helen Ellerbe and Mr. Jess G. Davis. Mr. Aubre Middleton of Hawthorne was absent.
Mr. Adkins, a lifelong Gainesville resident, served as solicitor and prosecuting attorney for Alachua County for many years. He fought in the Battle of the Bulge in World War II, and he was awarded four battle stars, expert infantry and combat infantry badges, two purple hearts, and two bronze stars for heroism in ground combat. Mr. Richardson was a UF faculty member who jumped into local politics, serving on Gainesville's City Commission three times with a stint as mayor; he was Florida's first Secretary of Community Affairs and he served and worked on numerous boards, committees and task forces. Mrs. Ellerbe was born in Cedar Key and moved to Gainesville in 1910 at the age of 2. She was a librarian and active in many facets of public service. She was chairperson of the Alachua County Historical Commission from 1979 to 1987. Mr. Davis, Gainesville's postmaster, worked for the post office from 1929 to 1961; he wrote two histories about this area, "History of Alachua County, 1824-1969," and "History of Gainesville Florida: With Biographical Sketches of Families."
(click image to view larger size)