Hardware - Mules and Equipment for Hauling Timber
Baird Hardware, founded by Eberle Baird, was one of the most important
businesses in Gainesville for more than 90 years. Formed in 1890
and liquidated in 1981, it was the largest hardware house in Florida
around 1900. The building shown in this photograph was located on
the east side of the Courthouse Square, facing west. Baird's was
originally in this building, which was the second from the north
end, until 1924 when they expanded into the building on their north,
which was on the corner of University Avenue and Southeast 1st Street.
They eventually occupied 75 percent of the entire block, which was
demolished in 1975 to be replaced by a new Courthouse and plaza.
Baird's was selling blinds and cutlery along with mining equipment
and agricultural implements when this photograph was made in 1913.
Huge wheels at left were used in hauling timber. This view was loaned
by Mrs. Annie Seckinger. (click image to view larger size)