|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Churches > First Baptist Church Tower
Baptist Church Tower
The old First Baptist Church tower was a Gainesville landmark for 69 years (1897-1965) on the northeast corner of East University Avenue and Northeast 2nd Street. It remained for years, even after the church itself was torn down and replaced by a parking area and boat display space for Baird Hardware. It gave its name to the Tower Restaurant which was operated in a nearby house. Both tower and restaurant were razed on July 12, 1965, to make way for the new city hall and library.
(click image to view larger size)