Where was this photo taken?ACLD Heritage Banner
    Home > Churches > First Baptist Church Tower Demolition

    First Baptist Church Tower Demolition First Baptist Church Tower Demolition
The tower from the old First Baptist Church remained standing long after the church was demolished. It was a Gainesville landmark for 69 years (1897-1965) on the northeast corner of East University Avenue and Northeast 2nd Street. It remained standing even after the church itself was torn down and replaced by a parking area and boat display space for Baird Hardware. It gave its name to the Tower Restaurant which was operated in a nearby house. Both tower and restaurant were razed on July 12, 1965, to make way for the new city hall and library.
(click image to view larger size)