|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Americans > Friendship
Friendship Baptist Church, seen in this photograph, is located at 426 Northwest 2nd Street (before July 1, 1950, the address was 546 North Pleasant Street). The Church was organized in 1888, but fire destroyed the original church building. In 1891 Rev. Richard Shivery deeded land for a new building to the church trustees, and it was on that site in 1911 that the congregation built the existing structure. The style is Romanesque Gothic Revival, and the material is rusticated concrete block (block made to look rustic). Rev. Shivery served at various times as pastor of Mount Moriah Baptist Church (the first African-American Baptist church to be organized in Gainesville), Saint John the Baptist Church, and the Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church. Rev. Shivery was a trustee of the Union Academy and served on the Gainesville City Commission in 1882. Friendship Baptist, along with Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church, received the 1997 Matheson Award. This award is given for significant efforts toward the historical and heritage preservation of Alachua County. This photograph was copied with the permission of the Pleasant Street Historic Society.
(click image to view larger size)