Where was this photo taken?ACLD Heritage Banner
    Home > African Americans > Friendship Baptist Church - Stained Glass Window

    Friendship Baptist Church Stained Glass Window Friendship Baptist Church - Stained Glass Window
This beautiful stained-glass window can be seen today in Friendship Baptist Church, which is located at 426 Northwest 2nd Street (before July 1, 1950, the address was 546 North Pleasant Street). The Church was organized in 1888, but fire destroyed the original church building. In 1891 Rev. Richard Shivery deeded land for a new church to Friendship's trustees. After much work and planning the existing structure was built in 1911 in the Romanesque Gothic Revival style. Rev. Shivery served at various times as pastor of Mount Moriah Baptist Church, Saint John the Baptist Church, and the Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church. Rev. Shivery was a trustee of the Union Academy (the first school for black children, built after the Civil War by the Freedmen's Bureau); he also served on the Gainesville City Commission in 1882. Friendship Baptist, along with Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church, received the 1997 Matheson Award, given for significant efforts toward the historical and heritage preservation of Alachua County. This photograph was copied with the permission of the Pleasant Street Historic Society.
(click image to view larger size)