Where was this photo taken?ACLD Heritage Banner
    Home > African Americans > Friendship Baptist Church - Sunday School Class

    Friendship Baptist Church Sunday School Class Friendship Baptist Church - Sunday School Class
This is an undated photograph of a Sunday School Class at Friendship Baptist Church, located at 426 Northwest 2nd Street (before July 1, 1950, the address was 546 North Pleasant Street). The Church was organized in 1888, but fire destroyed the original building. In 1891 Rev. Richard Shivery deeded land to Friendship's trustees, and after much work and planning the existing structure was built on that site in 1911. Rev. Shivery served at various times as pastor of Mount Moriah Baptist Church, Saint John the Baptist Church, and the Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church. Rev. Shivery was a trustee of the Union Academy (Gainesville's first school for black children, built after the Civil War by the Freedmen's Bureau); he also served on the Gainesville City Commission in 1882. Friendship Baptist, along with Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church, received the 1997 Matheson Award. This award is given for significant efforts toward the historical and heritage preservation of Alachua County. This photograph was copied with the permission of the Pleasant Street Historic Society.
(click image to view larger size)