Where was this photo taken?ACLD Heritage Banner
    Home > Business > Bond Jewelry

    Bond Jewelry View 1 Bond Jewelry
Bond Jewelry was located on the southwest corner of the intersection of West University Avenue and 2nd Street when this picture was taken in the 1940s. The store was owned by Mr. Frank Lewis, who also owned another jewelry store across the street, Lewis Jewelry. Another shop that was in this building for awhile was the Florida Gift Shop, owned by Mr. Lamar Hatcher. On September 21, 1956, J. C. Penney's opened their first store in Gainesville in this remodeled building, where, according to the Gainesville Sun, "hundreds of persons that awaited the opening…kept the store filled almost to capacity all day." Penney's moved to the Oaks Mall when it opened in 1978, and this building has since been the home of restaurants, nightclubs, and various enterprises. (click image to view larger size)