|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
> Chesnut Office Supply
In April 1954 the staff of Chesnut Office Supply posed for this photograph. James Gibbes Chesnut, born in Arredondo and a member of a long-time Alachua County family, founded the first office equipment company in Gainesville and pioneered in the field of arts and crafts in conjunction with office supplies. Chesnut Office Supply was located for many years at 106 West University Avenue and moved in the early 1980s to the northwest corner of University Avenue and Main Street. Chesnut's closed their doors in 1995. Front row: Ruby Perdue, Lorraine Shank, Louise Bowers, Nita Creel, Louise Posey, Alice Hardee, Anita Dixon, Gibbes Chesnut, Joe Alvarez, Wayne Mason, Joey Ward, Edna Earl Miller (Mr. Chesnut's sister), and Dot Jacobson. Back row: Mrs. Annie Lee Gray, Ed Grissom, Laurie Reid, A. R. Frush, Harry Clark, Dudley Benson, Charlie Crane, and Bill Chesnut (Mr. Gibbes Chesnut's nephew).
(click image to view larger size)