|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
> City Hall, 1927-1969
Gainesville's city government was really popping in 1927. In earlier years, the government was composed of a City Council with seven members, and they met in an upstairs room over the No. 1 Fire Station on the southwest corner of the intersection of Southeast 1st Street and 2nd Avenue. Offices for city business were rented in other buildings. But in 1927 everything changed. Plans for a real city hall were announced in February. In May a new city charter was adopted, designating a city manager/commission form of government. On July 29 the new city hall opened, just five months after construction began. In September the City Council held their final meeting in the new city hall, and the next day seven new commissioners were elected with the largest voter turnout ever recorded in the city. At a cost of $71,500, the 3-story city hall boasted a large rotunda, marble stairs, and an iron wicket gate that could be closed, enabling staff to work after office hours-in a non-airconditioned world, wooden doors would have inhibited the flow of air so the gate was a "comfort" feature. The furnace, a Hot Water Return Boiler was "the most modern of its kind," with an automatic pump that acted as a thermostat to regulate the temperature. The building was one of the sources of revenue which kept the city solvent during the Depression when city officials moved into rented quarters and the Federal government leased the City Hall building. It stood at 117 Northeast 1st Street, facing west, and was demolished to make room for parking for a new City Hall and Library, built in 1969. This photograph was made in 1966.
(click image to view larger size)