The Bailey House, the oldest home in Gainesville, was built by Major
James B. Bailey between 1848 and 1854. Bailey owned most of the
land which now makes up downtown Gainesville, so he had plenty of
pine forests to supply timber for the house; the trees were finished
at a crude sawmill powered by a small water wheel on Hogtown Creek.
Coquina rock from Saint Augustine was used for the foundations and
chimneys. The house is a frame vernacular with Greek Revival elements,
and it has clapboarding, a double-pitch gabled roof, and a front
veranda. Major Bailey was one of the strongest proponents for moving
the county seat of Alachua County from Newnansville to its present
site. The house stayed in the Bailey family for almost 100 years.
Located at 1121 Northwest 6th Street, it is still in excellent repair.
It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
(click image to view larger size)