|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
> First Baptist Church - 1907 Postcard
The First Baptist Church in Gainesville was organized August 14, 1870, and worship was held in other churches and meeting places until the congregation was able to build their first home. The first structure, used between 1875 and 1897, was a wooden frame building that sat on the corner of South Main Street and 2nd Avenue. As the congregation grew, a larger building was necessary and a second church, seen in this photograph, was built. It was located on the northeast corner of East University Avenue and Northeast 2nd Street. The first service was held on April 3, 1897. The congregation continued to grow, and in the 1920s a third structure was built; the first service in that building, at 425 West University Avenue, was held on Sunday morning, September 14, 1924. At that time this old building was sold to the First Christian Church. First Christian's services were held there until they built a new church in 1949. C. Addison Pound, owner of Baird Hardware, acquired the building and had it demolished (except for the tower) in late 1950. The space was then used as a parking and boat-display area for Baird's. The tower was razed on July 12, 1965, for the new city hall and library. This postcard, dated January 6, 1907, was copied with the permission of Archie L. Jackson.
(click image to view larger size)