|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Street Scenes > Courthouse
Square - East Side, 1920s
Square - East Side,
This is an undated view of the east side of the Alachua County Courthouse Square. J. M. McCrory's (a dime store) later moved into the brick building on the left and Kinney Shoes moved into McCrory's former space. The building on the far right was the home of Phifer State Bank. In 1946 Phifer State Bank became a member of the Florida National Bank group which was sold to the Dupont estate and the name was changed to the Florida National Bank. It appears that Gainesville's downtown had parking problems even back then.
(click image to view larger size)