|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Street Scenes > Courthouse
Square - North Side Businesses, Pre-1905
Square - North
Side Businesses, Pre-1905
This is a pre-1905 view of the north side of the Alachua County Courthouse Square between West Main and East Main. It was a time when proper ladies wore long dark skirts and white ruffled blouses which came to their necks and wrists. On the right was Marcus Endel's Clothing Store; there was a stable next door and then W. S. Dorsey's grocery with a dental parlor above. A barber shop was next. Delivery vans used the same power as buggies--horses--although many folks thought it quicker to get about on bicycles. The streets were clay and lined with trees and there were iron posts with rings imbedded in the brick sidewalks (to pass the reins through). No one worried then about auto accidents and parking meters, although runaway horses caused some concern. On the south side of the street, facing the courthouse with its iron picket fence and shading trees, was a bench for quiet folks to sit on. The photo was copied from the original owned by Klein H. Graham, University of Florida Business Manager for many years.
(click image to view larger size)