Where was this photo taken?ACLD Heritage Banner
    Home > Public Buildings > Alachua County Courthouse - 1884-1961

    Alachua County Courthouse - 1884-1961 Alachua County Courthouse - 1884-1961
Built in 1884, the Alachua County Courthouse was one of the best specimens of the architectural style of its time. After serving for almost 70 years, the structure was demolished in 1961, creating space so the second part of a new courthouse could be built. On November 8, 1961, the Gainesville Daily Sun reported events that had occurred the day before when a cornerstone was being removed during the demolition. A rusty tin box that had been encased in the cornerstone was recovered, and the contents stirred up much excitement. A ceremony was planned for the opening of the box, but while the box was being recovered the rusted bottom fell off, revealing the contents. The items included papers on Freemasonry, dated 1883; copies of newspapers, dated 1885, including the Alachua Advocate, the Evening News (Gainesville), the Daily Item (Ocala), the Florida Dispatch (Jacksonville), and the Palatka Daily News; and money (U.S. and Confederate), arrowheads, and various slips of paper with signatures of local residents. This photograph was made shortly before construction was begun on the first section of a new courthouse. This undated postcard was copied with the permission of Archie L. Jackson.
(click image to view larger size)