|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Business > First National Bank Of
National Bank Of Gainesville Currency
Beginning in 1912, the Federal government, seeking local backing for the national currency, authorized banks who were participating in the early Federal Reserve program to have national currency printed in their own name by the U. S. Mint. The currency was delivered in sheets and cut up into individual bills by the local banks. In the days of the Great Depression, the First National Bank of Gainesville had its name next to Lincoln's on about $100,000 worth of local bills. But "Gainesville money" had a short life and this 1929-series bill was recalled in 1934 (this particular bill did not make its way back to First National until 1964 when it was returned by a Lake City resident). The bills were printed in denominations up to $100 and were signed by W. A. Graham, the bank's cashier, and H. E. Taylor, bank president.
(click image to view larger size)