|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Education > Gainesville High School
- Color Postcard
High School - Color Postcard
Gainesville High School was established in 1905 or 1906 (records are not clear), and classes were held in the Kirby Smith building (then called the Gainesville Graded & High School) on East University Avenue for 15 years. As the local population grew, it became clear that a larger building was necessary. The second home of GHS, seen in this view, was completed in 1922 at a cost of $80,000. It occupied the entire block bordered by West University Avenue, Southwest 7th and 8th Streets, and Southwest 2nd Avenue. This undated postcard was copied with the permission of Archie L. Jackson.
The photographer is facing south while standing in front of the clubhouse of the Twentieth Century Club (the name was later changed to the Gainesville Women's Club). According to a history of that organization, "A Wider Vision, A History of the Gainesville Woman's Club 1903-1995," by Mrs. Anita Mitchell Tassinari—the clubhouse was finished in November 1921, shortly before the new high school was completed. The Twentieth Century Club built a new clubhouse at 2809 West University Avenue in 1961, and their old building was moved to 4039 Northwest 16th Boulevard to be resurrected as the home of the Gainesville Community Play House.
(click image to view larger size)