|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Education > Bookmobile
In 1903 a group of Gainesville women organized a literary society which evolved over the years into the Gainesville Public Library, later the Santa Fe Regional Library, and, in 1986, the Alachua County Library District. The first branch libraries opened in 1959 and the first bookmobile was dedicated the same year. This is a photograph of bookmobile service in 1976, when there were only three branch libraries in the system (Hawthorne, High Springs, and Micanopy). By 1997 there were nine branch libraries in addition to Headquarters. Bookmobile service-taking books to people for whom library service is not readily accessible-became very popular during the Depression as one of the projects of the Works Progress Administration (WPA). A wonderful book about the WPA bookmobile service in Kentucky, using pack horses to deliver books to people in the mountains, is called "Down Cut Shin Creek, the Pack Horse Librarians of Kentucky" by Kathi Appelt and Jeanne Cannella Schmitzer.
(click image to view larger size)