|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
> Hawthorne Area Public Library, 1959-1966
Area Public Library, 1959-1966
In 1903 a group of Gainesville women organized a literary society which evolved over the years into the Gainesville Public Library, later the Santa Fe Regional Library and, in 1986, the Alachua County Library District. The first branch libraries opened in 1959 and the first bookmobile was dedicated the same year. By 1997 there were nine branch libraries in addition to Headquarters. The first library in Hawthorne was opened in 1959 and was serviced by the Santa Fe Regional Library bookmobile. The building in this 1966 photograph was the home of the Hawthorne Area Public Library from December 1966 until September 15, 1969, when the library moved into new quarters built by the City of Hawthorne. Hawthorne was named after James Madison Hawthorn, a Second Seminole War veteran who received a land grant on the northwest side of Lake Johnson. The "e" was officially added to the end of the town's name in 1946.
(click image to view larger size)