|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Education > Front View, Hawthorne
Area Public Library, 1969-
View, Hawthorne Area Public Library, 1969-
In 1903 a group of Gainesville women organized a literary society which evolved over the years into the Gainesville Public Library, later the Santa Fe Regional Library and, in 1986, the Alachua County Library District. The first branch libraries opened in 1959 and the first bookmobile was dedicated the same year. By 1997 there were nine branch libraries in addition to Headquarters. The first library in Hawthorne, opened in 1959, was serviced by the Santa Fe Regional Library bookmobile. The building in this photograph (located at 104 Johnson Street) was constructed by the City of Hawthorne in 1969 under Mayor A. L. Middleton and Hawthorne City Councilmen Earl Beckham, William A. Carlton, C. C. Henderson, J. R. Jones, and James Phillips. Clyde Bell was the City Clerk. In 1985 the taxpayers of Alachua County voted for a separate taxing authority which provided dependable library funding-making possible the enlargement and remodeling of this building in 1990.
(click image to view larger size)