|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Education > Front & Side Views,
Hawthorne Area Public Library, 1969-
& Side Views, Hawthorne Area Public Library, 1969-
In 1903 a group of Gainesville women organized a literary society which evolved over the years into the Gainesville Public Library, later the Santa Fe Regional Library and, in 1986, the Alachua County Library District. The first branch libraries opened in 1959 and the first bookmobile was dedicated the same year. By 1997 there were nine branch libraries in addition to Headquarters. The first library in Hawthorne, opened in 1959, was serviced by the Santa Fe Regional Library bookmobile. The building in this photograph (located at 104 Johnson Street) was constructed by the City of Hawthorne in 1969. In 1985 the taxpayers of Alachua County voted for a separate taxing authority which provided dependable library funding-making possible the enlargement and remodeling of this building in 1990. Mr. James Madison Hawthorn, the person after whom the town is named, received a land grant in the area after the Second Seminole War. Mr. Hawthorn donated land to encourage the development of the Peninsular Railroad, which was completed in 1879 from Waldo to Ocala, passing through Hawthorne. Another railroad with impact on Hawthorne was the Florida Southern, which completed their Palatka-to-Gainesville route in 1881. Waits Crossing, located in the southern part of the town, was the place where the two railroads crossed.
(click image to view larger size)