|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
> Micanopy Branch Library
In 1903 a group of Gainesville women organized a literary society which evolved over the years into the Gainesville Public Library, later the Santa Fe Regional Library and, in 1986, the Alachua County Library District. The first branch libraries opened in 1959 and the first bookmobile was dedicated the same year. By 1997 there were nine branch libraries in addition to Headquarters. This is a 1976 photograph of the Micanopy branch, which is located in the Micanopy Town Hall building. Constructed in 1895, the building was formerly the Micanopy public school. The site is on Cholokka Boulevard. Micanopy, the oldest inland town in Florida, has had several names. As "Cuscowilla," it was a Seminole village when William Bartram visited in 1774. As "Wanton" it was a trading post settled by Edwin M. Wanton in 1821. As "Micanope" it was an 1831 fort, contructed for the protection of white settlers. The town's historic district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. Major attractions are the Micanopy Historical Society Museum and the Micanopy Fall Festival.
(click image to view larger size)