Where was this photo taken?ACLD Heritage Banner
    Home > African Americans > Map of the Pleasant Street Historic District

    Map of the Pleasant Street Historic District Map of the Pleasant Street Historic District
In 1854, when Gainesville was incorporated, the selected plot encompassed just a little over 103 acres. A little over 63 acres were purchased from Major Bailey at that time, but the remaining forty acres, owned by the estate of Nehemiah Brush, were not added until 1856 because the land was under litigation. That area, known as the "Brush Addition," was Gainesville's first annexation, and it was located on the northern side of the original city limits. The addition, shown in this 1907 map, was platted in 1859. It extended the city's boundaries from University Avenue (then called Liberty Street) north to present-day Northwest 8th Avenue (then called Boundary Street). The area has had both white and black families through the years, but it has been predominantly black. In 1984, an organization called the Pleasant Street Historic Society was formed, and their goal was the promotion, preservation, and revitalization of the neighborhood--the Pleasant Street Historic District, by calling attention to the cultural, educational, and architectural heritage of the area. Through the support of the Pleasant Street Historic Society and other organizations, the District was added to the National Register of Historic Places on April 20, 1989. The Society's goals include the research of the District's history, events and persons, the representation of the District's concerns to local government, and the improvement in communication between property owners and the local financial community in order to improve property values. This photograph was copied with the permission of the Pleasant Street Historic Society.
(click image to view larger size)