|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Maps > Map of Hogtown and Gainesville,
of Hogtown and Gainesville, 1855
Although legend has it that Gainesville was formerly known as Hogtown, they were really separate towns as can be seen on this map. Although it is difficult to read, Hogtown can be seen a few miles west of Gainesville. The map was drawn in 1864 from surveys made in 1855; this is one of several maps which show the distance between the two towns. Hogtown was located in the area of present-day Westside Park, Northwest 34th Street and 8th Avenue.
(click image to view larger size)