Where was this photo taken?ACLD Heritage Banner
    Home > African Americans > Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church

    Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church
Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church is located at 630 Northwest 2nd Street (before July 1, 1950, it was on the corner of North Pleasant and Columbia Streets). The congregation was organized in 1867, about the same time that the Union Academy (the first school for black children) was established. The first building, a wood-frame structure, was constructed on a site purchased in 1883 from Charles Brush for $160. That building was replaced by a brick structure in 1887, but it was destroyed by fire in 1903. The present building, located on the same site, was completed in 1906, making it the oldest intact church building in Gainesville. Notable features are the beautiful stained-glass windows and the tower that reaches 2-1/2 stories. One of the winners of the 1997 Matheson Award (along with Friendship Baptist Church), Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church was chosen because members have made significant efforts to preserve their heritage, their history and their structure. The Matheson Award is given annually to an individual or an organization that has contributed significantly to the preservation of the history and heritage of Alachua County. This photograph was copied with the permission of the Mount Pleasant Historic Society.
(click image to view larger size)