|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Street Scenes> Oak Street
Although the postcard says "Oak Avenue," this street was called "Oak Street." Looking north on what was originally Factory Street and later changed to Oak (Northeast 3rd Street since July 1, 1950), this picture was taken from a point just north of the intersection of Orange (now Northeast 2nd Avenue) and Oak. The first house on the right was the residence of B. P. Richard and the second house was the residence of B. F. Jordan. The house directly across the street from the Jordan home was where the Blanding's lived, 306 Northeast 3rd Street. Their son, Albert, graduated from East Florida Seminary in 1894. He rose to the rank of Brigadier General in the U. S. Army, the first Floridian to do so in World War I, and he was the only person to have a military installation named after him while he was still alive (Camp Blanding). Court Street (now Northeast 3rd Avenue) intersects Oak between the Richard's and Jordan's properties but does not show in this picture due to the fences. The barracks of the old East Florida Seminary are the second building on the left. Later the site became a City Park. The publisher of this postcard was A. L. Vidal & Co., Gainesville, Fla. The Vidal family was in the pharmacy business in Gainesville for decades. Dr. Adolph J. Vidal came to Gainesville from South Carolina, settling here in 1881. He came here for the same reason that so many other early settlers came, for his health. He was a graduate of the Charleston Medical College, and he went into the drug business here; he died of consumption (tuberculosis) in 1905. His son, Adolphe L., operated Vidal Drug Store on the north side of Courthouse Square and apparently did a little bit of postcard publishing on the side. A.L. died in 1975 at the age of 83. This postcard was copied with the permission of Archie L. Jackson.
(click image to view larger size)