|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Business > O'Donald And Saunders
And Saunders Grocery
The grocery store of Edward O'Donald and Minot Bacon Saunders was one of the largest in this section of Florida when this photograph was taken. The two men had bought the store from Phillip Miller and Company several years earlier. The view dates from before 1899. In an advertisement of the 1880s, the men boasted that their store sold fancy and staple groceries, flour, meal and grits, hay and grain, Queensware, glassware, tubs, tiling, etc. They also were agents for Columbia and Hartford bicycles, which were popular long before automobiles filled up the streets. The grocery was located on the southeast corner of present-day East University Avenue at 1st Street.
(click image to view larger size)