|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Churches > First Presbyterian Church,
Presbyterian Church, 1910 Postcard
The first church building constructed in the Gainesville area was the Kanapaha Presbyterian Church which was built in 1859; it is still in use and is located at 6221 Southwest 75th Street. The first church building in the town of Gainesville, built in 1860, was located on the east side of Southeast 1st Street, just northeast of the Hippodrome; it also was a Presbyterian church, but since it was the only church building in Gainesville it was used by Methodists, Episcopalians, and Baptists alike. The Presbyterian Church in this photograph stood on the northeast corner of the intersection of West University Avenue and 2nd Street (234 West University Avenue) for 64 years (1890-1954). The publisher of this postcard was A. L. Vidal & Co., Gainesville, Fla. The Vidal family has been in the pharmacy business in Gainesville for decades. Dr. Adolph J. Vidal came to Gainesville from South Carolina, settling here in 1881. He came here for the same reasons that so many other early settlers came, for his health. He was a graduate of the Charleston Medical College, and he went into the drug business here; he died of consumption in 1905. His son, Adolphe L., operated Vidal Drug Store on the north side of Courthouse Square and apparently did a little bit of postcard publishing on the side. A.L. died in 1975 at the age of 83. This postcard, dated July 15, 1910, was copied with the permission of Archie L. Jackson.
(click image to view larger size)