|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Business > Primrose Inn with Automobile
Inn with Automobile
Built as a private home in the early part of the 20th Century, this frame and stone two-story house was purchased in 1924 by the Byron Winn, Sr., family who converted it into a hotel and restaurant, the Primrose Inn. Though the lodging portion of the business closed in the early 1960s, the Primrose remained a favorite eatery and meeting place for the community, specializing in southern-style cooking. Son Byron Winn, Jr., who served as mayor of Gainesville in 1963, carried on the business from the 1940s until it was sold to John C. McCraw in 1974. The restaurant was closed on May 8, 1988, and the building was converted into office space. It is now called, in the 1990s, the Primrose Square. The Primrose was located at 214 West University Avenue. The steeple and building in the right background belong to the First Presbyterian Church (the Church was razed in 1954).
(click image to view larger size)