|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Street Scenes > Street Building,
Building, About 1920
Street-building in Gainesville in the years before the First World War was a job that required a lot of muscle, although the use of primitive trucks such as this one helped save some of the hard labor. Early Gainesville streets were unimproved. In the 1880s the use of rock pressed into a clay base began. According to Jess Davis in "History of Gainesville Florida," the first city street paving in Gainesville (using bricks, not just clay or limestone) was done in 1907, the first highway paving was the Waldo Road in 1920 (the paving stopped around Northeast 39th Avenue), the intersection of University Avenue and 13th Street was paved during Christmas week in 1924, and Northwest 13th Street was not paved until 1931.
(click image to view larger size)