|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Education > Tebeau School Graduates
Miss Maggie's private school for girls was a Gainesville institution for many years. It was called the Tebeau School and it was founded in 1873 by Margaret Tebeau and her friend, Mrs. Sarah Caroline Morrison Thomas. It was a private school in a time when free public schooling was not yet available. The school was quite successful for many years, boarding 10 to 15 girls (apparently there were both boys and girls during the day). Miss Tebeau was a strong supporter of Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, and the school became associated with the Episcopal Church as the Diocesan School for Girls in 1906. Miss Maggie died in 1924, and the daughter of Miss Maggie's co-founder, Alice Thomas, became principal and continued to operate it until the school was closed in 1936. The Episcopal Church later operated it as the Tebeau Nursery School until 1948. The County bought the building in 1949 and it was razed in 1951. The school was located on the southwest corner of the intersection of South Main Street and Southwest 2nd Avenue-the location of the 2003 Alachua County Courthouse. Unfortunately, the identities of these somber young women are unknown.
(click image to view larger size)