|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Education > Tebeau School, East
& North Sides
School, East & North Sides
Miss Margaret ("Maggie") Tebeau, along with her friend, Mrs. Sarah Caroline Morrison Thomas, founded a private school for girls in Gainesville in 1873. The school was quite successful for many years, boarding 10 to 15 girls (apparently there were both boys and girls during the day). It became associated with the Episcopal Church in 1906 as the Diocesan School for Girls. After Miss Maggie's death in 1924, Alice Thomas, the daughter of Miss Maggie's co-founder, became principal and continued to operate it until the school was closed in 1936. The Church later operated it as the Tebeau Nursery School until 1948. The County bought the building in 1949 and it was razed in 1951. The school was located on the southwest corner of the intersection of South Main Street and Southwest 2nd Avenue and faced east. It is the site of the 2003 Alachua County Courthouse. This view was loaned by Mrs. C. Addison Pound, Sr.
(click image to view larger size)