Where was this photo taken?ACLD Heritage Banner
    Home > African Americans > Union Academy, Two-Stories, Side View

    Union Academy, Two-Stories, Side View Union Academy, Two-Stories, Side View
Union Academy was the intellectual heart of the African-American community in Gainesville and Alachua County for almost 60 years. Built by the Freedmen's Bureau and support of the George Peabody Fund and northern friends, it covered elementary through high school. The building was originally only one floor, but a second floor was added in the 1890s. A bond issue was passed in 1920 to build two new schools in Gainesville--Gainesville High School for white students and Lincoln High School for black students. Both were red brick schools, similar in size and facilities. Union Academy closed in the early 1920s and Lincoln High School, located on the corner of Northwest 7th Avenue and 10th Street (Columbia Avenue and 7th Street before July 1, 1950), opened the following fall. Mr. A. Quinn Jones was the last principal at Union Academy and the first principal at Lincoln. Mr. Jones died on December 2, 1997, at the age of 104. It is known that the Academy building was a residence for elderly men in the 1930s, but no record of the fate of the structure has been found. An excellent article about the Union Academy may be found in the "Florida Historical Quarterly," Vol. 65, Oct. 1986, pp. 163-174.
(click image to view larger size)