|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Street Scenes > West University
Avenue & 2nd Street, 1940s
University Avenue & 2nd Street, 1940s
This photo shows a view of University Avenue looking west from West 2nd Street. Taken in the 1940s, the photograph shows the Seagle Building in the distance. According to "Miller's City Directory" for 1948-49, some of the businesses on the north side of the street in the block between 2nd and 3rd Streets were, left to right (west to east): Shaw & Keeter Motor Co. (Ford dealer, Mrs. Bessie Shaw, Pres., and Pat Keeter, Treas. & Mgr.); Norman C. Ferguson Watch Repair (he was called "Fergie"); Lillian's Music Store (Mrs. Lillian Gibson, owner—for all your music needs); Frank N. Anderson Studio (one of Gainesville's premier portrait photographers); Terry Gift & Book Shop (Miss Ada Terry—great gifts); the Johnson Building (Dr. George Putnam, physician; Dr. Glenn Meade, dentist; Dan Byrd, insurance; Edgar Davis, Robert Wood, Mrs. Ina Wrench, real estate); Gainesville Gas (Irvin Wynn, Gen. Mgr.); the Primrose Grill (Byron Winn Jr., Gen. Mgr.); Silverman's (Joe Silverman, men's clothing); Bittner's (Ruby R. Bittner, women's clothing); Lewis Jewelry (Frank H. Lewis, owner for 45 years).
(click image to view larger size)