|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Business > White House Hotel
The White House Hotel is shown, tree-shaded and comfortable, as it appeared during the first half of the 20th Century. Originally built as the girls’ dormitory for the East Florida Seminary, Maj. W. R. Thomas acquired it when the University of Florida was founded in 1905-1906 and the Seminary was closed. Aapparently it was called The Oaks Hotel for a short time, but on July 31, 1907, a grand opening was held to celebrate the opening of the White House. According to the "Gainesville Sun," "…The vast assemblage was regaled with elegant refreshments, and local musicians furnished enchanting music which was greatly enjoyed and highly appreciated. The White House is second to no hostelry in the State of Florida in the way of comfort, and the owner and proprietor propose to conduct it in a manner that will reflect credit upon the city and give satisfaction to those who favor them with their patronage." Authorities are not sure of the exact date that the White House was built, but it was closed and demolished in 1962. The Hotel was located in the block bordered by present-day North Main Street and Northeast 1st Street, 4th Avenue, and 5th Avenue.
(click image to view larger size)