|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Business > White House Hotel, Flying
the American Flag
House Hotel, Flying the American Flag
The White House Hotel was originally built as the girls' dormitory for the East Florida Seminary, which was absorbed by the University of Florida when the University was founded in 1905-1906. Maj. W. R. Thomas acquired the dormitory which he converted into a fashionable hotel. This view shows the west and south sides of the White House; visible also are the Atlantic Coast Line train tracks (removed in 1948) that ran down the center of Main Street. In days gone by, the train would stop at the White House and folks would get off to dine. Then the train would either back up to the station or go forward (depending on the direction of travel), unload whatever needed to be unloaded, and back up to the White House to pick up the passengers for the remainder of their trip. Authorities are not sure of the exact date that the White House was built, but it was closed and demolished in 1962. The Hotel was located in the block bordered by present-day North Main Street and Northeast 1st Street, 4th Avenue, and 5th Avenue. This undated postcard was copied with the permission of Archie L. Jackson.
(click image to view larger size)