|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Business > White House Hotel, South
& East Sides, with Blue Car
House Hotel, South & East Sides, with Blue Car
The White House Hotel is shown here in an undated postcard that was copied with the permission of Archie L. Jackson. In the earliest days of the hotel, hacks or "drummers" from the hotel would jump on the train as it pulled into Gainesville on Main Street. They would hassle passengers-trying to "drum up business." This became such a nuisance that the City Council passed an ordinance requiring that hotel drummers stay off the train. The White House was originally built as the girls' dormitory for the East Florida Seminary. The Seminary was absorbed by the University of Florida when the University was founded in 1905-1906, and Maj. W. R. Thomas acquired the dormitory which he converted into a fashionable hotel. This view shows the south and east sides of the White House; visible also are the islands that still run down the center of Northeast 1st Street today. Authorities are not sure of the exact date that the White House was built, but it was closed and demolished in 1962. The Hotel was located in the block bordered by North Main Street and Northeast 1st Street, 4th Avenue, and 5th Avenue.
(click image to view larger size)