|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Business > First National Bank (About
National Bank (About 1929)
The First National Bank of Gainesville was established in 1888 with assets of $1,001.13. In 1906 they advertised that their combined capital, surplus, and undivided profits totaled $80,000. When the stock market crashed in 1929, First National was the only bank in Gainesville to withstand the crisis and continue to serve the public. The bank was located for 66 years at 15 North Main Street. In 1954 a new home was erected a block north on the other side of the street at 104 North Main Street, previously the site of the Atlantic Coast Line train station. The new building was a two-story, granite-front concrete building. First National moved into a third home in July 1973, a seven-story steel and concrete design which was right next to the second building; the second building was torn down after the third building was completed. Since 1954 the building in this photograph has been the home of a finance company, an antique store, and several nightclubs. Trains were still running down Main Street when this photograph was taken, about 1929 (the tracks were removed in 1948), and parking on Main was still permitted.
(click image to view larger size)