|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Sports & Recreation >
Gainesville High School Football Team, 1920
High School Football Team, 1920
In 1900 Gainesville opened the Gainesville Graded School in the Kirby Smith building on East University Avenue between Sweetwater Branch and 7th Street. The school did not include high school, so a student desiring more education would need to go to a private school such as East Florida Seminary. In 1906 Gainesville added its first public high school to create the Gainesville Graded & High School, still in the Kirby Smith building. A separate high school was built in 1922 on West University Avenue between 6th and 7th Streets. This GHS football team of 1920 was part of the Gainesville Graded & High School that met in the Kirby Smith building. Back Row: Rex Farrior, Julian Ballentine, Donald Bishop, Andrew Ludwig, Gardner Welch, John A. H. Murphree, Ed Swearingen, Mondell Cellon, Carlos Zetrouer, Professor F. W. Buchholz. Front row: Joe Perry, Devoux Vrooman, Ralph Eads, Philip Vrooman, Erskin Parks, Rutledge Emmerson, Clifford Blitch, Barco Bishop, Hayward Davis. Talmadge Vansickel is sitting on the ground in the front. This picture was a gift from Mrs. J. M. Lang.
(click image to view larger size)