|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Business > Hotel Thomas Miniature
Thomas Miniature Golf Course
Construction on a private home for Mr. Charles W. Chase, a wealthy phosphate man, was halted when Mr. Chase died in 1909, the home unfinished. Maj. William R. Thomas bought the unfinished building and completed it the next year as the showplace of Gainesville, where he raised his family. In 1925 citizens were invited to invest in the conversion of the house into a hotel, and by 1928 the Hotel Thomas was functioning as a popular destination for both short-term visitors and snowbirds who spent their winters in Gainesville. The "Social Calendar" in the April 1, 1930, "Gainesville Sun," had a brief article about a recent Ladies' Day gathering on the Hotel's miniature golf course. Although there is no mention of the golf course on this photograph, it is most probably the explanation for the rolling mounds visible in the foreground.
The Hotel Thomas dominated the hotel world in Gainesville for many years prior to the advent of comfortable motels, but in 1968 their doors were closed. For awhile the building was a temporary home for Santa Fe Junior College, but eventually it was purchased by the City of Gainesville for government offices. It is again the showplace of Gainesville and an ideal spot for weddings, receptions, recitals, etc.
(click image to view larger size)