|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Military > John Jackson Dickison
No account of Gainesville's experiences during the Civil War would be complete without mentioning Captain John Jackson Dickison's famous Company H of the Second Florida Calvary. Dickison’s outfit, organized in August 1862 in Marion County, was composed of some of the best soldiers and horsemen of the entire state. Dickison, called "Florida's most conspicuous soldier," remained in Florida throughout the Civil War; his headquarters were in Palatka much of the time but he roamed all over the state, functioning as the principal thorn in the side of the Federal forces. There is an historical marker about Capt. Dickison on State Road 24 in Waldo. An excellent book about Capt. Dickison is "Dickison and His Men, Reminiscences of the War in Florida," written by Mary Elizabeth Dickison and published in 1890.
(click image to view larger size)