Where was this photo taken?ACLD Heritage Banner
    Home > Law Enforcement > Gainesville Fire Department-Men, Horses, & Machines

    Gainesville Fire Department-Men, Horses, & Machines Gainesville Fire Department-Men, Horses, & Machines
After much pressure from the volunteers who fought early fires in Gainesville, the City Council agreed to buy a horse for the Fire Department about 1890 but stipulated that when not in use for fires he would be hitched up to haul away city garbage. That horse was named John, after John MacArthur, early fire chief of the volunteer department; the second and third horses bought for the department were named Mac and Arthur. By about 1912, the time of this photograph, the department had acquired a new motorized ladder and pumper truck and it was time for the horses to retire. Posing with their equipment are, from left, Henry Gleason and Taylor Crown on the ladder wagon; T. J. Swearingen Jr. on the motorcycle; Bill Anderson and Elmer McCreary in the "run-about"; the identities of the next two are unknown; J. E. Moyer and Joe Goin on the new motorized truck; and Gilbert Gleason holding the reins of John.
(click image to view larger size)