|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Business > White House Hotel
The White House Hotel is shown, tree-shaded and comfortable, as it appeared during the first third of the 20th Century. It was originally built as the girls' dormitory for the East Florida Seminary. When the University of Florida was founded in 1905-1906 the University absorbed the Seminary. Maj. W. R. Thomas acquired it at that time and converted it into a very fashionable hotel. Days were when the train would stop at the front door on Main Street and folks would get off and eat their meal at the White House. Then they would board the train for the remainder of their trip. Authorities are not sure of the exact date that the White House was built, but it was closed and demolished in 1962. The Hotel was located in the block bordered by North Main Street and Northeast 1st Street, 4th Avenue, and 5th Avenue.
(click image to view larger size)