Where was this photo taken?ACLD Heritage Banner
    Home > Public Buildings > City Hall, 1927-1969 - Postcard

    City Hall, 1927-1969 - Postcard City Hall, 1927-1969 - Postcard
For more than 70 years, from its birth in 1854 until 1927, Gainesville managed without a city hall, holding Council meetings in a room above the old fire station and doing other city business in rented spaces around town. The first City Hall was finally built in the optimistic boom days of the 1920s, and it is shown in all its glory in this undated postcard, copied with the permission of Archie L. Jackson. City Hall opened for business on July 29, 1927. It was built of cream-colored bricks and tile, had marble stairs, three floors and a basement, and was home for multiple functions. The police department occupied the basement with a private office for Chief H. T. Daniel, space for police records and equipment and, naturally, cells for prisoners. There was a built-in safe in the city manager's office-a bell was placed in the safe that was connected to the police department. There also was a two-story safe that could be entered from either floor. City Hall was one of the sources of revenue which kept the city solvent during the Depression when city officials moved into rented quarters and the Federal government leased the City Hall building. It stood for more than 40 years at 117 Northeast 1st Street (formerly 235 East Main Street). The site was northwest of the present City Hall, facing Holy Trinity Episcopal Church. According to the 1948-49 City Directory, Margaret Ann Super Market was located next to and south of City Hall. This City Hall building was torn down when the new City Hall and Library were built in the late 1960s.
(click image to view larger size)