|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Street Scenes > East Main Street,
Main Street, 1907
A walk on the Square was the order of the afternoon back about 1907 when this view was taken. The scene is the east side of the Courthouse Square with the present Southeast 1st Street at right. The monument in the foreground is dedicated to Confederate war dead and was presented to the county in 1904 by the United Daughters of the Confederacy. The monument in the background is dedicated to two members of the Gainesville Guard who contracted yellow fever while on duty in Fernandina Beach in 1888; the monument was erected by their comrades and stands now in Evergreen Cemetary. This view is reproduced with permission from a postcard loaned by Mrs. C. A. Pound, Sr.
(click image to view larger size)