|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Education > Kirby Smith School
Smith School (Architectural Drawing)
Kirby Smith, constructed in 1900, is one of the oldest existing school buildings in Alachua County. It was initially called the Gainesville Graded & High School, and it was open to all white children. According to an article in the May 2, 1954, "Gainesville Sun," an addition was built in 1912 to house the higher grades. When a new Gainesville High School was built on West University Avenue in 1922, this building became Eastside and housed the primary and grammar grades. In 1939 the school was completely changed—new wings were built, the auditorium was enlarged, and the entire building was painted white.
General Edmund Kirby Smith was the last survivor of the full generals of the Confederacy. He was born on May 16, 1824, in St. Augustine, Florida and graduated from West Point in 1845. He fought in the Mexican War, the Indian campaigns on the Texan frontier, and the Civil War. He taught mathematics at West Point and was president of the Pacific and Atlantic Telegraph Company, president of the Western Military Academy at Nashville, Chancellor of the University of Nashville, and professor of mathematics at the University of the South. He died on March 28, 1893, and is buried at Sewanee, Tennessee.
The caption on this drawing says “Proposed Modernization, Gainesville East Side Elementary School.” Forrest M. Kelly, Jr., did the drawing, Sanford W. Goin was the architect, and Mellen C. Greeley was the Consulting Architect. The building serves as office space today for the Alachua County School Board.
(click image to view larger size)