|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
University of Florida
> Lake Wauburg
Lake Wauburg, located about 9 miles south of Gainesville, is seen in this undated postcard published by Holloway Film Service of Gainesville. According to the postcard, Camp Wauburg, a University of Florida recreational site, is "a twelve-acre recreation park for the exclusive use of University personnel. Operated by the Florida Union…Camp Wauburg provides a beautiful setting where many students and faculty enjoy swimming, boating, fishing, picnics, and many recreational games." In 1918 the YMCA of the University of Florida purchased 20 acres on Lake Wauburg for student recreation. The road across Paynes Prairie was not yet paved, and the trip from the University to the lake could take hours, through potholes and mud. The land was deeded to the University in 1928. With the extension of US-441 from Ocala to High Springs in 1938, access to Lake Wauburg was no longer a problem so a recreation center was constructed in 1939. Nowadays, with boating, volleyball, a ropes course, a climbing wall, and various water sports, Lake Wauburg hosts approximately 65,000 visitors a year.
(click image to view larger size)