|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Military > Confederate Soldier Monument
Confederate Soldier Monument
On January 19, 1904, this monument was dedicated to the Confederate soldiers from Alachua County who died in the Civil War. The Kirby Smith Chapter No. 202 of the United Daughters of the Confederacy erected it and presented it to the Stonewall Camp of the United Confederate Veterans. The dedication took place as 2,000 persons listened to a program of music, prayers, and speeches. When the ceremonies were concluded, a barbecue and fish chowder was served at the Oak Hall lot (near the present-day Hippodrome), and it is estimated that more than a thousand people were fed. The six-foot bronze figure of a Confederate soldier at parade rest, standing on a base of Georgia granite, can be seen today on the northwest corner of the Courthouse Square.
(click image to view larger size)