|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Blueprints > U.S. Post Office, Details of Front, Drawing No. 314
U.S. Post Office, Details of Front, Drawing No. 314
This blueprint, "Details of Front, Drawing No. 314," was drawn for the construction, between May 1908 and March 1911, of the U. S. Post Office in Gainesville.
The front of the building, the north fašade, has a monumental portico with six limestone Corinthian columns. Carved limestone was used for most of the decorative trim. An article in the "Gainesville Daily Sun" in October 1909 announced that, "The largest shipment that ever entered Gainesville, or probably any other city of the State, is now billed here in the shape of 100 cars of limestone for the Government building."
After more than 50 years of service, a new Post Office was built. For several years demolition was a threat to the old building, but concerned citizens worked hard to save it. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979 and has been the home of the Hippodrome State Theater since 1980. It is one of the finest examples of the Beaux Arts Classical style in the State of Florida.
All of the Post Office blueprints are stamped "James Knox Taylor, Supervising Architect, Treasury Department." The building is located at 25 Southeast 2nd Place.
(click image to view larger size)