|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Blueprints > U.S. Post Office, Details for First Floor, Drawing No. 315
U.S. Post Office, Details for First Floor, Drawing No. 315
This blueprint, "Details for First Floor, Drawing No. 315," was drawn for the construction, between May 1908 and March 1911, of the U. S. Post Office in Gainesville.
The post office occupied the first floor. It is not clear when postal service began in Gainesville, but we know there was service in 1854. Mail service was interrupted during the Civil War and for several years after the War ended. Amazingly, the post office did not close during Gainesville's terrible yellow-fever epidemic in 1888-mail clerk J. Harry Tench stayed on the job while many citizens were fleeing the city.
After more than 50 years of service, a new Post Office was built. For several years demolition was a threat to the old building, but concerned citizens worked hard to save it. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979 and has been the home of the Hippodrome State Theater since 1980. It is one of the finest examples of the Beaux Arts Classical style in the State of Florida.
All of the Post Office blueprints are stamped "James Knox Taylor, Supervising Architect, Treasury Department." The building is located at 25 Southeast 2nd Place.
(click image to view larger size)